Tuesday, December 18, 2007

The Things You Do For Love...

December 6th I ordered the Power Wheels for Jack from Walmart.com, I choose the site to store option in order to save money on shipping. When I placed the order the confirmation said that the car would arrive in 7 to 10 days. Yesterday was day 11 and I still had not received word that it is in. At 3:45 I called Walmart.com to get to the bottom of the situation, the first guy I talked to told me to wait until Thursday to see if it turned up. I explained to the young man that by Thursday they wouldn't have enough time to remedy the situation. He told me there was nothing else he could do for me. When I explained that I needed a better response than that he "put me on hold" so he could check with a manager. I was disconnected...in my mind I picture the customer service guy, Randy, as the Grinch before his heart grew three sizes. I was not going to be defeated that easily! I called back and the recording told me that the wait for a customer service person was 30 minutes. Did I hold, you bet your ass I did; now I was pissed! The poor unfortunate woman who answered the phone at least had two brain cells to rub together and had a heart so she was able to understand the importance of my 4-year-old getting his Christmas wish. She attempted to give me the same song and dance as Randy, but was able to put me on hold, without disconnecting me, to talk to several different managers. While I was on the phone I cooked and ate dinner. By 7:15pm (yes, you read that right, 3 1/2 hours later) the girl told me there was nothing else she could do to help, the Power Wheels was lost and she would be happy to return my money. I told the girl that I need the Power Wheels and at this point I don't have time to order it from anyone else. She then suggested that I call the Walmarts in my area to see if they have any. I suggested that since she was Walmart corporate she might as well do that for me. I nearly died laughing when she told me that she could check into it for me but it would probably take at least 15 minutes or I could do it myself. HA! She wasn't going to get off that easily! I was not going to get off the phone until I had a resolution. So, she put me back on hold. Finally she came back and told me the "great" news, the Walmart 3 miles away from me has one in stock. How strange, that is where the one I ordered was suppose to go; now they have one. Coincidence? I think not!

Travis went to pick up the Power Wheel immediately so I wouldn't have to worry about it anymore. I just wanted to have it in my possession. After Jack went to bed Travis stayed up late to put it together in our living room while I was on guard so Jack didn't see it. Jack that sneaky little devil knew he was missing out on something, he just didn't know what!

This is the first time I really had to kick some retail ass in order to get my kid his wish. It made me think about what my mother must have gone through to get my sister and I Cabbage Patch Dolls, Nintendo, etc. My mom was the woman in the neighborhood that put herself on every list for the next Cabbage Patch shipment and got up at 4am the day after Thanksgiving so secure the gift of the year. She often ended up with more than enough of the popular present and supplied many of the other kids in our neighborhood with their Christmas wish as well! It is such a good feeling to really understand how much your mommy loves you! I can't wait for the day that Jack understands the massive amounts of love I have for him!

7 comments:

Crystal D said...

Good Job Momma! I too have spent way too much time on the phone with customer service people who have had to elevate me to managers and then hung up on me. I am following up this year with a letter to said company after the holidays. Don't you just love the response... "Well if you don't it tomorrow or the next day." Who exactly trained these people to say that?!? That is not an answer. If you wanted to wait until Thursday, you would have called on Thursday. They could have sent out a replacement on next day delivery by then. Bah-humbug!
I hope Jack is on cloud 9 Christmas morning. Sounds like fun!!

Michelle said...

I am sorry to say, Jack is a boy and will probably never truly appreciate your sacrifices. They just don't get it.
;-)

I was pursuing similar quests this evening, searching far and wide for, get this, a Hannah Montana Scrapbooking Set! No luck yet!

Mamarazzi said...

you are my RETAIL HERO!! you have major superpowers and i am seriously impressed!! wow, you should like hold a workshop or something!

Lisa said...

Jack will be thrilled, I'm sure. I finally broke down & bought the "sleep baby" that Goosey wanted off of ebay last night...it is no where to be found around here. I'm sure it wasn't quite as pricey as the power wheels though.....although Goosey isn't four yet!!!

suchsimplepleasures said...

you are an awesome mommy. and, you didn't even have to strangle anyone and end up in jail, to be one!!!
make sure, when your son is older, to use this as guilt!!!!
take care!

Mom said...

Thanks for making me misty-eyed. I was so happy when I finally succeeded in my quest to get you what you really wanted. I look back on those days with so much love in my heart! I love you!

Jim and Jami said...

Great Job!!! I am soooo glad that Jack will get his wish....customer service is just not what it should be, and that site to store opt, what a pain in the butt.....I ordered summer shoes in June from a site and waited, and waited, Aug I called the customer service in which the reply was the same as your response to the Power Wheels, "Lost, Sorry", So I called the store to return my money, and the reply was "The shoes have been sitting here for weeks". whatever!