Sunday, December 2, 2007

Sicko

I never saw Fahrenheit 911; I just assumed that it was crap and that I didn't care for Michael Moore. However, when he came out with Sicko I thought it was worth checking out. In the current health care situation Travis or I will always need to have a part time job that offers benefits even after we retire. I am only insurable when I am in a group plan. If I would be able to get health insurance it would be unaffordable. Even with insurance my medicine is $100 per month. So, I am open to ideas when it comes to a national health plan. I have heard all of the critics talk about the long lines at doctors and hospitals in countries with socialized medicine, but I will say Moore was able to dig up several people that couldn't complain about the wait when they see the doctor. As a matter of fact he actually interviewed people in a socialized emergency room that only waited 20 minutes. That 20-minute wait seems like a dream compared to the last time I waited in the emergency room for over an hour with Travis as he was in anaphylactic shock! I can't remember a documentary that actually brought me to tears. There were several times that I cried. He talked about an 18 month old that was turned away from the nearest emergency room because that hospital didn't have an agreement with her insurance company, while the baby was being transported to a participating hospital she had a seizure and died. Moore told a story about a woman who had breathing problems because she was a rescue volunteer on 9/11. Because she was a volunteer and not a paid employee the government is not taking care of her. Her breathing treatments are over $100, but in Cuba it costs about 5 cents. Why do we as Americans in one of the richest countries in the world allow this to happen? We claim to be a country that cares about human rights, but when it comes right down to it shouldn't our health be one of those rights? Travis and I actually discussed moving to Europe after we retire!

4 comments:

Lisa said...

I am so on board with you on this one. I haven't seen the movie, but feel that medical care is a right - not a situation of haves and have nots. This is one of the main reasons I will likely vote for a democrat. I may have to talk Hubby into renting Sicko!!!

SWC said...

I have been meaning to see this film and now am more determined than ever. Kinda depressing, huh?

Rachel said...

I have had two or three people recommend this, i really need to see it. In Australia, where my father lives, they PAY women to take maternity leave for one year. You. get. paid. to have your children and take care of them.
Something must be done about America and our bass ackwards systems! Thanks for the review.

Mamarazzi said...

i have a large distain for Michael Moore but this movie made me think a few hard thinks...