Thursday, December 6, 2007

It Could Happen To Me

I lived in Omaha, NE from age 2 to 29 excluding a few years that I was in college in Lincoln (about an hour away), so it is safe to say Omaha has been a huge part of my life! I always felt very safe there when we heard things about the Oklahoma City bombing, Columbine, 9/11 and other tragedies I felt sad for those people but knew that would never happen where I lived. Until yesterday when an asshole with a gun entered Westroads mall, a place I used to shop all of the time, and killed nine people, injured at least 5 more and killed himself. I will not use his name, nor will I ever speak it because that is what he wanted, he wanted to "be famous", what a fool. My best friend was at the mall earlier in the day, my sister-in-law's friend was shot in the arm, and my dad works with a woman who was there during the shooting and with another whose husband works at Von Maur. If this could happen in Omaha it can happen anywhere. I hate that I am raising my kids in a time that this kind of crap happens. I feel for everyone who was at the mall yesterday, but particularly for the mothers who were shopping with their young kids who will never be the same. I can't imagine having to explain this tragedy to Jack. I love that he is so innocent and I want to keep it that way!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I went shopping today at the mall with the girls, and although I'm not in the Big "O", I found myself thinking about the innocent people that were purusing the mall with their kiddos that day, just like I was today. If I would have been at Westroads that day I'm sure I would have checked out the kids section of Von Maur on third floor. Freaky, sad, scary stuff.

Rachel said...

Oh my gosh!
It is so scary, we get so complacent in our lives and forget that anything can happen anywhere, at any time.