Saturday, May 10, 2008

Roughing It

Travis and I spent most of the day painting our first rental property. The kids brought lots of toys to play with as well as a 13" TV with video games and 'lifeline' cable. The 'lifeline' cable is included with the homeowners’ association dues. Lifeline cable includes 40 channels, but only about 35 in English. We have all of the networks, PBS, weather, golf, etc. The kids just don't get it. They are used to being able to turn on the TV at any hour and find Scooby Doo, at the very least a choice of three acceptable cartoons. It took me awhile to convince them the TV wasn't broken. They act as though we have to read books by candlelight. My kids don't get to watch a lot of TV, but I will admit if they are in my hair I fall back on the, "why don't you guys go watch cartoons?" so that I can regroup. Since I don't let them watch a lot of TV they are always very willing to oblige. I must admit many times today as one kid or another stuck their hand in my paint I wanted to bark, "go watch cartoons!" but I knew that would only rub salt in the wound! When I was a kid, before we had cable, my mom used to tell my sister and I to go clean our rooms if we were in her hair. I think I will try that tomorrow!

3 comments:

suchsimplepleasures said...

i'm always telling my kids to go clean their rooms! sad thing is, their rooms are still a mess. maybe i'll do what my mom used to do...and tell all of them to go play in traffic!!
xoxo

happy mothers day!!

Mamarazzi said...

oh yeah that is seriously roughing it...35 channels...ouch! J doesn't watch a lot of tV either but she does have a TV in her gameroom with like a million channels (just for kids and tweens) AND DVR...spoiled!

Hey! Happy Mother's Day! i left a little love for you on my blog!

Jaina said...

Haha, oh the torture! I hope you got all the painting accomplished without too much trouble. :) And Happy (belated) Mother's Day!