Friday, May 23, 2008

Memorial Day Weekend Potty Training Blitz

Today is day one of the potty training blitz and I have already run into a couple of snags. I prepared by making up a song about no more diapers yesterday. Lauren caught on and sang with great enthusiasm. Ben on the other hand kept putting his hand over my mouth and asking me to be quiet. This morning when Ben and Lauren woke up I started singing the song again and got out the underpants so they could pick which pair they wanted to wear. Lauren dug right in and picked Dora dressed up as a princess. Ben wouldn't even look at his choices. I held them up one at a time. "Bob the Builder?" Ben balled up his little hand and punched the underpants. "Spiderman?" Again, he balled up his fist, punched the underpants and shouted "NO!” "Okay, how about Nemo?" Getting even angrier, Ben clenched his teeth, made a fist and screamed "NO" at the top of his lungs as he punched the Nemo underpants. I can take a hint. He doesn't want to wear underpants. Everything I have read says don't force it, so I guess this weekend won't be quite the blitz I was planning on. Lauren has been wearing panties for almost 3 hours now without an accident! She has gone pee pee in the potty once. I am trying the same strategy that worked so well with Jack. When you use the potty you get to pick a prize from a basket full of McDonald's and cereal toys as well as Dum Dum suckers. Lauren picked a purple platypus and a Dum Dum. Ben desperately wanted a sucker too. I told him that he had to use the potty if he wanted a sucker. He threw the biggest fit I have ever seen him muster up. I have had friends that give their older child a smaller version of the potty prize to "celebrate" with the younger one who is learning. But, I don't think Ben should get to celebrate with Lauren since he isn't already potty trained. What do you think?

2 comments:

Mamarazzi said...

potty = prize

doing anything else is just going to send a mixed message, but that's just my opinion.

i have heard that boys are harder.
have you tired tossing a few cherrios in the toilet for "target practice"? that worked for my nephews, they liked to make them sink!

don't worry he WILL learn to use the toilet...in his own time.

Yay for Lauren though..woo hoo!

Jaina said...

I think you're right. If he wants the prize he has to earn it. ;)