Saturday, May 31, 2008

Jack Logic

Wednesday I had to take Jack to Ben and Lauren's weekly playdate. I prepped him ahead of time by telling him that it might be a little boring for him but tomorrow we will have a big kid playdate at the beach club. We met our friends at the park for a picnic. All was going well until Jack decided to take his cheese on the playground. I told him several times to leave his cheese at the table and come back if he wanted to have a bite. Somehow he snuck off with his cheese in hand. The next thing I know he is falling from a 7ft platform tailbone first. He tried to grab onto a modified fireman's pole and lost his grip. I ran over and my first aid training kicked in. I asked him what hurt and he told me his back. All I could think was spinal cord injury. I told him not to move, had him wiggle his fingers and toes then decided that he was okay. Come to find out his back hurt because he got scratched by a piece of bark! As I was comforting Jack I took the opportunity to say I told you so. I told him that mommy doesn't just tell him things to be a buzz kill that I have his best interest in mind. If he wouldn't have been holding the cheese he probably wouldn't have fallen because he would have been able to use his other hand. Jack finally got up and started playing again. He came back about 30 minutes later to tell me what he had learned.

Jack: Mom, I know what to do better next time.
Me: Oh yeah, what?
Jack: Next time I decide to take cheese on the playground even though you tell me not to I am going to drop the cheese and use both hands instead of falling on my back.

Hmmm...Yet another message lost.

2 comments:

Mamarazzi said...

he totally has it all figured out doesn't he?! LOVE IT!

Jaina said...

I'm SO trying not to laugh. That is too cute. Maybe next time he'll learn just to listen to you because mothers are always right...like when my mom used to tell me never to hold a cup by the lid? Yeah...too bad I wasn't heeding her advice this morning when I was holding the chai in my car...