Friday, May 16, 2008

Ant Bully

I never saw The Ant Bully, I wish I had, I could really use some ant bullying pointers! I am no Martha Stewart, but my house is usually fairly clean. I will admit my kids provide an ant feast under the table after every meal. But, I have been dust busting religiously ever since the infestation. It doesn't help that our back door is in the kitchen. You would think I left the effing door open and posted a neon arrow declaring an all you can eat ant buffet. I have been killing ants by the hundreds at least half a dozen times a day. The pest control guy came out to spray on Wednesday. The ants haven't been deterred at all. I assumed it was due to the exterminator's lack of brain cells. Call me judgmental, but I fear he has inhaled a few too many chemicals. I called the exterminator again on Thursday after a particularly bloody ant kill to find out why I am still forced to murder the little bastards. Come to find out the spray takes 5-7 days to get rid of the ants. My parents are arriving Sunday night, so not only will I be hosting my parents, but I will also be hosting a few thousand ants. Great. I guess I should look on the bright side I don't have to buy the kids an ant farm. The kids have been lying on their stomachs on the kitchen floor watching the ants collect tiny morsels of their abandoned fish sticks and Apple Jacks. They crawl across the table like they own the place as I hear a chorus of "spider mama, spider", "there's another one", "get is mama, get it", "get the spray". I am living with a constant case of the creepy crawlies. I can't help but feel like I have ants crawling all over me, I think the Chinese should consider using ants rather than their famous water torture.

5 comments:

Mamarazzi said...

i had a major problem with ants a few summers ago...someone suggested i sprinkle cinnamon where i notice them coming in...i don't know HOW it worked but it TOTALLY did...trust me i was shocked, AND i never had an ant problem the rest of the summer. anytime i saw one i sprinkled the cinnamon and poof they found somewhere else to live.

bizarre...but true.

i also heard vinegar in a spray bottle works...

Lisa said...

They were just talking about the crazy ant outbreak in Texas yesterday on the Today show. They're eating through people's electrical systems & everything!!!

There is some white powder stuff we bought at Lowe's last year when we had a nasty case of the ants around Lulu's birthday that worked well - supa-dupa poisonous, but it worked!!!

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

You know what else works? Cornmeal. I put out little bowls of it on my countertop (where they were marching) and that solved my problem. They take the stuff back to their nest to eat, but they can't digest it, so it kills them. Nice to have something nontoxic with kids and pets around.

Jaina said...

I've also heard they won't cross a line of comet. Never tested it though. My mom's had great luck with those multi-sided little traps. Good luck! I hate ants. ::shudder::

SHW said...

I.HATE.ANTS! They show up univited and never leave! Making everyone think I never clean and we clean let me tell you, we clean! I have used the white powder stuff outside the house and Raid spray inside. Gotta be careful with the kids around though.