Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Paranoid Parent

I have posted before about how nervous I get about sending Jack on field trips for preschool. Today he is at a bounce house/pizza place. They are going to bounce then make and eat their own pizzas. I am having trouble understanding what educational benefit the kids will be getting out of this, but I know Jack will have a blast. I can't wait to hear all about it...that is if he makes it back in one piece. I am already painfully paranoid about Jack's safety when they leave the school and getting this email last night did not help matters!

Dear Parents,

I need to inform you of an incident that occurred at
Sunshine Kids on Thursday, May 8. During the Muffins
for Mom afternoon party a child left his classroom, the
Starfish class, unattended by an adult and exited the
building. He was found on the field by the Bennett
Elementary School playground and was returned to the
Preschool. He was not recognized as one of our
students and was taken to Bennett Elementary by
Sunshine Kids Teachers to inquire if there was a
missing child reported at their location. The child's
mother arrived at Sunshine Kids and it was determined
that the child was her son and he was brought to her.
We are all thankful that the child is fine and this
situation had a happy ending.

Sunshine Kids Preschool is investigating the incident as
well as the Texas Department of Protective and
Regulatory Services. It is our goal to take preventive
actions to deter this situation from happening again and
to have procedures to follow if a missing child is
brought to the Preschool. We will be updating our
Operational Policies to include this information and
Sunshine Kids Teachers will be having a Staff Meeting
on Tuesday, May 13 to discuss this situation and
preventative measures. A Preschool Board meeting is
scheduled for June 8 to discuss this situation as well.

I do need your help in keeping our kids safe. Please be
aware of the children exiting the building and if they
are accompanied by an adult. If you don't see an
adult, please ask the child where their parents are.
Also, please do not leave your child unaccompanied in
the hallways or on the playground. There will be a
Sunshine Staff member standing by the exit doors and
in hallways at pick up time to help with this situation.
If you have questions or need to speak with the
Teachers, please schedule a time to meet with them
other that drop off and pick up times. The Teachers
need their full attention on the children in their
classroom.

Unfortunately I was out of the office on Thursday
with my son who was sick but I am available to answer
questions or concerns about this incident. I ask that
you please contact me directly to discuss any of the
above issues.

Thank you,

Amy
Director


Please tell me I am over reacting?

3 comments:

Crystal D said...

I am a nervous wreck when Madeline goes on field trips without me. We only live 2 houses from the primary school and the months before she went to pre-school I was terrified that she would just find a way to leave and come home by herself. (that has never happened)

Jaina said...

You are definitely not overreacting. There is no way a kid should have been able to wander away. But, at least they were responsible in sending the email and admitting their mistake rather than trying to hush it up?? I'm sure he will be just fine on the field trip, but I know you'll feel better when he is safely home in your arms.

Mamarazzi said...

wow! scary! i think it is time you insist on going on all field trips.

i guess the good news is that they are addressing the issue so that it does not happen again. i would NOT miss that meeting if i were you!