Wednesday, February 13, 2008

If Soda Is Fat, I Don't Want To Be Thin!

I have bad news. The diet soda I live on is making me fat. Saying that I live on this soda is not an exaggeration. I have at least two in the morning to get myself going. One for lunch, one when the kids have a snack so I am less tempted to eat. One for dinner and one while I am watching TV/screwing around on my computer at night. It has been a long time since I have done a story problem, but according to my math that is 2+1+1+1+1=6 per day and that is at a minimum. Throw in a car ride or time to sit and hang out with friends and I have more. I am an addict. I have heard the study before that says that diet soda makes you eat more because the artificial sweetener makes your body crave sugar or the one that says you eat more because you feel like you deserve it since you are drinking diet soda. Those studies are a load of shit! I don't buy that at all. However, I am afraid there is a new study that might make sense to me. I saw it on Good Morning America the other day. Basically, this study says that when you eat or drink something with artificial sweetener (diet soda, Yoplait Light, etc.) the sweet taste makes your body think it will be receiving calories and when it doesn't your metabolism gets messed up. Now, what? Is there a patch for diet soda addicts? A chewing gum that releases caffeine into your system? Perhaps there is a rehab facility for me and the millions of others who suffer from this affliction. Are my friends and family going to host an intervention?

5 comments:

Mamarazzi said...

Try to make Me go to rehab (over my diet pepsi addiction) and i won't go..no, no!

Anonymous said...

You are now a Texan! "soda"

Anonymous said...

You may just have to start drinking coffee like the rest of us caffeine addicts. That story really bums me out, because I just recently started my love affair with Coke Zero. That stuff is GOOD!

Lisa said...

My love for diet pepsi is one that I won't give up. I swear, when we hit it rich I'm going to get a real soda fountain in our house.

PS - You're from Nebraska. It's pop, my friend :)

Kelli said...

Yes, for the record I was born and raised in Nebraska and I am proud of it. I have just gotten into the habit of saying soda because I catch so much slack from my southern friends when I say pop. I still like to sing "I want a pop, pop, pop, I want a Shasta!". Does everyone remember that song?