Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Pumpkin Station Day

Gone are the days of wearing your Halloween costume to school, participating in the Halloween parade and enjoying a Halloween cupcake. Today I, as room mother, will be facilitating the Kindergarten "pumpkin stations". That's right, you can't even celebrate Halloween in the public schools anymore! Why? I don't know. Whom does Halloween offend? Whose civil liberties are sacrificed by a Halloween party? I will never know! So, to get around the Halloween thing we celebrate fall by having "pumpkin stations" on Halloween, just don't say the 'H' word. We will have five stations; pumpkin decorating, Fall bingo, decorating pumpkin cookies, pumpkin bean bag toss and harvest mix graphing.

After the pumpkin station party I will be rushing my kids home to start Halloween. We are going to a Halloween party at a friend's house complete with a bounce house, bobbing for apples and costume contest. The party starts at 4pm, we will live it up as fast as we can, then rush home to meet neighbors for pizza before trick-or-treating at 5:30. Tomorrow we will be going to another family Halloween costume party. Jack and Ben will be Nebraska football players, Lauren will be a Nebraska cheerleader and I will be a Nebraska fan complete with a corn hat (on loan from my brother-in-law). I am still trying to convince Travis to be a fan with me, but he read the fine print on the invitation that said, "costumes are not required". Boring! Maybe Travis is the guy whose civil liberties are at risk. We no longer have Halloween parties in public schools to protect fun haters everywhere!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Thursday was Goosey's Halloween party at school & I thought the whole time about how this would be her last school Halloween party. Ever. Doesn't that stink?

I also thought of you last night after the Husker game - thankful that Halloween was on Friday instead of Saturday :)

Jaina said...

That's no fun that they can't wear costumes to school. I remember the costume parades, it was always so much fun. My little brothers always did them too, but they're homeschooling this year. Sounds like you had a fun filled Halloween. :)