Saturday, October 11, 2008

Failed Family Fun

Today was one of those days that nothing went my way. I woke up with a fun day for the kids planned. Farmers market to pick out pumpkins, gym, painting pumpkins, watching the Husker game and having the neighbors over for dinner to make our own pizzas with sundaes for dessert. We got up early and went to the farmers market. Today was supposed to be a pumpkin festival of sorts. I told the kids we would go buy some big pumpkins. I had never been to this particular market before, but I am not a farmer’s market novice. I loaded up the wagon only to discover that I actually had to remove the handle with a screwdriver and wrench to make it fit in the car. We drove to the market, unloaded the wagon, got the tools back out and put the handle back on. We went through the small gate to only find four small stands. Just one of the stands had one pumpkin of any size. The price? Fifteen clams! Yikes, I can buy four pumpkins for that price at Tom Thumb. I let the kids each pick out a small decorative gourd and we were out of there within 10 minutes. We took the handle off the wagon again, and then loaded it back into the car. We hit the gym then stopped by Tom Thumb for big pumpkins, pizza supplies and sundae toppings. When we got home we had a message from our dinner guests. They have a sick child and wouldn't be able to come. Darn, I was really looking forward to that! The shopping trip and message took the wind out of my sails to I watched our latest Netflix to regroup. After my movie, I turned on the game and watched the kids paint their pumpkins.


The kids were covered from head to toe in black paint, not to mention my kitchen chairs. After I cleaned up the chairs I put the kids in the tub. I scrubbed the paint off the kids, then off the tub. I could tell I was trying to hard to make family fun because everyone including me was on edge. We decided to make the most of being stood up and still made our own pizzas.

The kids had fun making yet another mess for me to clean up. By this point the NU vs. Tech game was tied so I left the kids for a second and watched a little more intently. We lost in overtime. Damn! When I got back to the table I found Ben chewing and chewing on raw pizza dough. It turned the kid off and he wouldn't even touch his cooked pizza. Just as I was pulling the pizzas out of the oven I turned to see Ben peeing on the kitchen floor. Shoot! I forgot that he asked to wear underwear after his bath! After we digested our pizza we made our sundaes. Before I even had the last bowl of ice cream scooped Lauren had flipped hers on the floor.

Me: Lauren, what happened?!?!
Lauren: My ice cream fell on the floor.
Me: How did that happen?
Lauren: I was screwing around.


I am so tired trying to make a day of family fun and to be real honest; I didn't have a lot of fun. I don't know if it just isn't the same without Travis (he went to Lubbock for the game) or what. I just hope the kids had a good time. I put the kids to bed early because I was so beat. Within minutes of getting everyone settled our doorbell rang. Our neighbors boo'd us at 8:05pm. Is that too late for 3 and 5 year olds or am I being an old fuddy duddy with nothing to do on a Saturday night?

1 comment:

Jaina said...

You're such a trooper...I'm sorry your fun day wasn't so much fun.