Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Old School vs. New School

Everyone knows the trouble I have had with potty training Ben. He is still not potty trained, but it is not for lack of trying. I am not totally stressed about it. He will do it when he is ready. I successfully trained two other kids, it is not me! This kid is stubborn and he just isn't ready. I had a discussion with my Pediatrician at Ben's last appointment and he advised me to let the potty training go completely for at least a month, then try again. He said that it would be worse if I tried to push him.

My grandma has been staying with me for the last few days. She made a remark here and there about how she would just put him in underwear and let him be wet, etc. I brushed it off explaining my Pediatrician's advice. After all, she is nearly 83 years old, when was the last time she potty trained a kid?

Today, I chaperoned Jack's field trip to the pumpkin patch. I left the house at 8:20am and expected to return around 11:30. Come to find out we loaded up the buses at 11:30, then waited for a child who had diarrhea to get out of the port-a-potty. We didn't return to school until 12:30pm. When I got home Ben was asleep on the couch and grandma proceeded to give me a full report of the time they spent together.

We went outside shortly after you left. Unfortunately, Ben pooped in his diaper. Lauren fell off her bike and got a small scrape on her knee. Lauren kept telling me that I should changes Ben pants, but quite frankly changing big kid's poop disgusts me.

Ben slept until 3:30pm, so he went approximately 7 hours with poop in his pants because it disgusts my grandma. She better hope that she can always control her bowels and if she can't Ben isn't in charge of changing her because paybacks can be hell!

That being said, I love my grandma and I have enjoyed my time with her, but what was she thinking? She did admit that she was ashamed that he sat in poop for that long. Poor Benny.

2 comments:

Jaina said...

Aww, poor Benny.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe that. Passive aggressive, much? She should have changed his diaper. Yuck.