Friday, December 5, 2008

Stained Pants On Fire

This morning Jack got ready as fast as he could so that he could color his Santa homework for school. The washable crayons that Ben and Lauren use are worn, broken and unorganized. The only new box of crayons I had wasn't washable. I assumed Jack could be trusted with them. I got him started and sat with him at the table for a few minutes while he colored. I was only gone for a couple minutes when he approached me with a red crayon in his hand.

Jack: Mom, I just noticed that I have a stain on my jeans. (Pointing at a fist sized scribble on the thigh of his school jeans)
Me: What happened?
Jack: I don't know it must have been there when I put them on.
Me: I don't think you are telling me the truth.
Jack: Why not?
Me: Because you are holding a red crayon and it is a red crayon stain on your jeans. What really happened?
Jack: I drew a happy face on my jeans, and then I thought you would be mad at me so I scribbled it out.
Me: Jack, those crayons are not washable; I hope that stain comes out!
Jack: It isn't my fault!
Me: Then whose fault is it?
Jack: You didn't tell me they weren't washable!
Me: But who colored on your jeans?
Jack: Me.
Me: Then whose fault is it?
Jack: Mine. I'm sorry.

Most of the time he is so mature and smart, and then there are times that I just wonder if someone switched his pancakes with retard sandwiches for breakfast!

2 comments:

Milo said...

"switched his pancakes with retard sandwiches" lol Don't you love not having to be PC sometimes?

My 7 year old often thinks she can get away with something. Even something as little as "Did you wash your hands?" "Yes" "How come I didn't hear the water running?" "I'll go wash them." "Did you use soap and scrub?" "Yes" "How come the water was only on and off real quick? How could you have washed your hands so quickly?" "I don't know, but I did!" "Ok, show me how you wash your hands..."

Jaina said...

Lol, too funny. I hope the stain comes out.