Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Hot. Damn Hot!

Today was the hottest day of the year. 102 degrees. Why does it seem inevitable that someone always leaves a child in the car on a day like this? Do people forget kids in the car everyday and they only get attention if the poor baby dies, or do they only forget their children when their brains are fried due to this unbearable heat? Today a daycare provider forgot a 19-month-old little girl in a van for 6 hours. I don't get this. For 6 hours nobody at the daycare wondered where the little girl was? She was only 19 months old. When my kids were 19 months old if I didn't see them for more than 5 minutes I knew they must have been getting into trouble somewhere. I often find myself doing a head count when I am out with my kids and I am only in charge of three. Why didn't someone notice they were missing a child? The cause of the little girl's death has not been determined yet. I don't get this either. You don't know why she died? She was in a hot car for 6 hours. What do you mean the cause of death hasn't been determined? Other parents that take their children to this daycare were interviewed. None of them were able to string two sentences together. Perhaps this heat has fried their brains too?

2 comments:

Jaina said...

It is completely unthinkable to me. You NEVER leave a child alone in a car (or anywhere else for that matter) unattended. Not even for a second! It's ridiculous that they haven't yet determined the cause of death. The providers should be put in jail for the rest of their lives. Not only was that poor child left in a car alone, but for SIX hours! That is irresponsibility at it's finest. I hate these stories, they make me so sad. I feel so badly for that poor family.

Lisa said...

I don't get that...at all. That sickens me. Can you imagine how her parents must feel?