Monday, February 16, 2009

Mortality

Last night our 38-year-old pediatrician and neighbor had a major heart attack. From what I am told it was just one step below instantly fatal. He lived through the heart attack, but will still be in the hospital for at least three days. His wife is a nurse so when he started feeling sick they were trying to handle it at home. Until his arm started hurting, that’s when he knew he was having a heart attack. They called 911, and then he looked at his wife and told her he was going to die and said he loved her. Thank goodness he made it through, he has a two-year-old daughter that needs him. Not to mention Benny (he doesn't know anything about the heart attack) who told me this afternoon that he needed me to call the doctor because his "breath hurt". I didn't bother to mention that the doctor had bigger problems right now. It really makes me think about how old we are getting. People our age are actually dying of things other than accidents like they did when we were in our 20s. Our attorney who was "our" age passed away less than a year ago and now the kids’ doctor nearly died. It makes me worry about Travis, he doesn't exercise like he should and he is a giant ball of tension 95% of the time. I am really not prepared to do this three-kid thing without him. Not to mention, I kind of like to have him around!

No comments: