Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Close Only Counts in Horseshoes and Hand Grenades

So, Ben is using the potty for peepee and stinky 100% of the time. I honestly can't remember the last time he had an accident. The problem is that he strips from the waste down. He removes his boots and takes his underwear and jeans completely off no matter where he is. The problem really doesn't occur until it comes to redressing himself. He only gets his underwear and jeans back on about half the time and of that half they are only on the right direction 50% of the time. Which leaves me helping him get dressed 3 out of 4 times. It kind of takes away from the pleasure of an independent pottier. We have been working hard on getting him to put his pants on (right or wrong) before he leaves the bathroom because it proves embarrassing when he walks out of the bathroom at the gym or at McDonald's naked from the waist down. Both of which have actually happened. So today when he walked out of the bathroom with his underwear and jeans in hand he asked,

Ben: Mommy, will you help me put my pants back on?
Me: No, you need to go back into the bathroom and put them on by yourself.
Ben: Oh, damn it.

I chose to ignore that little comment because I didn't want him to think he could get a rise out of me by saying it again. He walked back to the bathroom with his underwear in one hand, his jeans in the other and his head hung low. When he finally immerged from the bathroom for the second time he had his jeans pulled on, but not buttoned.

Ben: Mommy, my love, will you please help me button my jeans?
Me: Yes, my love, I will!

I really can't say no to a kid that is so charming...and he knows it!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

damn it, that kid is cute!