Monday, September 29, 2008

Sunday Dinner On Monday

Yesterday I made Hamburger Helper for dinner because I knew I would be cooking all day today. I thought about making two boxes, but decided that would be over kill. I was wrong. My family gobbled the cheap and easy meal like they would never eat again. Today I was taking dinner to a girlfriend who just had a baby. The poor girl breaks her tailbone each time she delivers so I knew it had to be a good meal. Not to mention the email that I got from the meal organizer that said "You know they are so glad to have this baby in the south! There is no better meal than a southern one!” Wow, that is a lot of pressure for a Yankee! I wasn't sure what to make. Most of my specialties are of the Tex-Mex variety, but I couldn't take those to my Hispanic friend's house! I finally decided on meat loaf, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole and crescent rolls with Oreo cheesecake for dessert. I started with the cheesecake right after lunch, then spent the rest of the afternoon peeling potatoes, mixing meatloaf and putting together the beans. I figured I would be nice and treat my family to the same meal. Travis liked it. The kids on the other hand were unimpressed. I had to bribe them with the cheesecake to make them eat. Benny didn't even like the cheesecake, he asked me to "scrape the cheese off his cookies". Why is it when I put zero effort into dinner they can't get enough and when I bust my hump they are totally unimpressed?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dad sez the moral of the story is "buy more hamburger helper".

Lisa said...

We had Hamburger Helper last night & it was a hit at our house too!

BTW - Your poor friend brakes her tailbone when she delivers? How horrible!

Crystal D said...

Well, it might help to hear that I am on the receiving end of those post birth meals being delivered to the house. And my kids are eating EVERYTHING that is being delivered without even a second look. I could never feed my kids Quiche, Chili and Spinach Lasagna and have them clean their plate if I fixed it. But as they watch these meals being delivered to the house the excitement builds and they devour it. I might start making food and walking it around to the front door, I am not sure how to extend this little bit of meal time fortune.

Jaina said...

I feel like my brothers and I guilty of having done that to my mom too...