Sunday, September 28, 2008

Baby Or Big Boy? What Time Is It?

I am so proud of Jack. He is going through the transition from preschooler to Kindergartener almost seamlessly. Today he had his first birthday party as a Kindergartener. It was a boy from his class. I didn't know the birthday boy, his mother or any of the other guests. I don't know if Jack was nervous, but I was. Jack jumped right in. I quickly met two other moms that actually live in my neighborhood. Things were going great! That is until Jack turned his tickets in for a whoopee cushion. He immediately blew it up and attempted to show off for me and my new friends. He plopped down on the whoopee cushion with all of his weight. Instead of hearing the patented fart sound we heard a giant pop. Jack stood up to find an enormous hole in the top of his prize. He was devastated. He started to cry. I quickly bent down shielding his face from the rest of his class. "Don't cry buddy, your friends will think you are a baby, stop crying, wipe your tears and take this broken one up to the counter and ask if they will give you a new one” Crisis averted. Until, the ugliest girl in the class came up to me and said, "he was crying wasn't he?" It took all that I had to cheerfully say, "Nope" rather than snap, "Mind your own business you ugly little bitch!" Thankfully, the rest of the party went off without a hitch.

When we got home Travis pumped up the tires in our bikes and we took a family bike ride. Jack rode our neighbor’s 18" bike WITHOUT training wheels and Ben and Lauren piled into he Burley Bee behind Travis' bike. We rode as a family for FOUR miles. Jack was a real trooper and looked like such a big boy riding along with Travis and I. I am really looking forward to the future of our family with big kids.

1 comment:

Jaina said...

What a big boy. Bike riding sounds lovely.