Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Burn Notice

Jack and I had a playdate this afternoon after school. I picked Jack and his friend Finn up from school, then Finn's mom and sister came over shortly after we got home. It was a beautiful afternoon so we decided to play outside. After playing outside for only about 30 minutes the 'big boys' decided they wanted to go inside to play. The three 3-year-olds wanted to stay outside so we let the boys go inside and play in Jack's room. I told Finn's mom that there wasn't anything in the house they could hurt, so no worries. Lauren went inside to go potty; when she came back outside she reported, "The boys were cooking her ball in the toaster". It seemed extremely far-fetched so the other mother and I brushed her off. We continued to chat about the crazy things kids dream up and say. Suddenly the door burst open and two crying 6-year-olds came running out.

Jack: (through tears) I told him not to do it, but he did it anyway!
Me: What are you talking about?
Jack: We put Lauren's ball on top if the toaster and it almost started on fire and I burned my hand.

I went running into the house to assess the damage. The toaster was on, the splash ball was on the floor with a burn hole and the house smelled of melted nylon. I went back outside to report to the boys and the other mother that there was no harm, no foul. The boys were still hysterical and Jack was mad at me for not giving his burn enough attention.

After the other family left I talked to Jack about what a poor decision he had made. He agreed and we left it at that. Thirty minutes later on our way to Jack's baseball game he was still thinking about the incident.

Jack: Mom, I think that I should have to buy Lauren a new ball and I think I should lose a privilege.
Me: I think you are right, what privilege do you think you should lose?
Jack: Hmmm...I think I should lose cartoons.
Me: How long do you think you should go without cartoons?
Jack: I think I should go without cartoons for the rest of the year.
Me: Wow that is a really long time. Do you know how long that is?
Jack: Yeah, it is 6 days.
Me: Oh, you mean the end of the school year!
Jack: Yeah.
Me: Okay that works.

Wow, I don't know what I did right, but I sure made this parenting gig look easy today! Jack is such a great kid. Sure, he tried to burn the house down, but how many kids come up with their own punishment without being told?

1 comment:

Jaina said...

Wow, I think that qualifies you to write a parenting book and teach us all that little secret. What a great kid you have there. I'm seriously impressed.