Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Kooky Cookie Cook-off

The 'lazy days of summer' are a farce! I don't know who is relaxing, but it sure isn't me! I have been running myself ragged trying to make positive summer vacation memories for my kids. Now that I am working I have decided to spend a couple hours a day on real estate, one hour at the gym and remainder of the day creating 'fun' for my kids. Since we are not made of money we will only do one thing that costs money (that isn't already spent like the pool or zoo membership) per week, the rest of the week we will do activities at home, the splash park, the pool or the zoo. The pay activities are things like Six Flags, the movies, roller-skating, Chuck E. Cheese, etc. We have scheduled our fun on the dry erase calendar so Jack can read it to the little ones and they can look forward to the next day’s fun. The calendar does leave room for spontaneity because we can easily push the activity later in the month if a play date or better offer comes along. I am not creative when it comes to entertaining children so I read a book "Fun House" by Karol Ladd. I read her book "The Power of a Positive Mom" and loved it so I figured this book couldn't be bad. A lot of the ideas are for older kids, but I did find several that the kids are excited about.

Today we had a Kooky Cookie Cook-off. I made a batch of cookie base and divided it into three equal portions. The kids made their own 'recipe' by choosing from chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, peanut butter cups, Oreos, cereal, cocoa, chocolate pudding, candy bars, Skittles, M&Ms, sprinkles, etc. The kids had a fabulous time making their cookies, then delivered them with pride to our neighbor. You have to love Mr. Paul, he looked at the cookies and without missing a beat told the kids how excited he was to try them.





1 comment:

Lisa said...

That looks like a lot of fun Kelli! What a great idea.....you are way ahead of me in the fun game :)