Friday, January 2, 2009

Under My Umbrella

Lauren: Mom, where is my game?
Me: I don't have it, ask Grammy.
Grammy: I don't have it.
Me: Seriously? I asked you to make sure the kids had their games when they got in the car.
Grammy: I didn't hear you.
Me: Lauren, you need to be responsible for your own game, where is it?
Lauren: I left it at Walmart.
Me: Are you kidding? It is probably gone forever.

Hauling ass to Walmart to see if the game is still there. We checked for the cart we used, but it was already gone. We went to customer service and it wasn't in the lost and found. As we walked away Lauren was crying and I was adding the cost of the $70 Leapster 2 and the $20 Diego game that was in it then dividing it by the two days she played with it. I loaded her back in the car and we continued with our errands. I was hacked.

Lauren: Am I ever going to have a Leapster again?
Me: I can't afford to replace it Lauren it is gone.
Lauren: I am so sad.
Me: Me too.
Lauren: Are you angry with me?
Me: Yes, let's stop talking about it.
Lauren: Well, at least I still have my umbrella.
Me: I could have bought you a new umbrella for $5.96. I think you should be quiet for a while.
Lauren: Why?
Me: Because mommy is really angry.
Lauren: Yes ma'am.

When we got home her Leaapster was sitting on the sofa. What a relief. But, I can't stop thinking that the $5.96 princess umbrella is equivalent to the $70 Leapster in her mind. Why don't I ever learn?

1 comment:

Jaina said...

I'm so glad you found it. Seriously, you can buy kids all the bells and whistles...and they'll sit there and play with the box it came in...I know I did.