Thursday, January 22, 2009

Am I A Bitch?

It was a beautiful 79-degree day today. I took Ben and Lauren to the zoo with my sister and nephew. When we got home I promised Ben and Lauren if they laid down for an hour while I made some phone calls we would play outside when Jack got home from school. My plan was to sit outside with my neighbor with a glass of wine, but when she dropped Jack off she looked terrible. My poor neighbor said that she had a sinus infection and was getting a migraine. I told her that I had promised the kids that they could play outside and I would be happy to watch her kids while she lay down. We were only outside for about 15 minutes when the negative neighbor with her two naughty boys (5yrs and 8yrs) came home. The nasty neighbor didn't ask if I would watch her kids, she didn't even give me a friendly wave. She just sent them over to play. I try to be neighborly, I'll watch your kids, you watch mine, but the thing is she has never watched mine nor has she watched anyone else’s. I don't blame her for not wanting to be around her kids, they really are terrible. They are disrespectful, negative (just like her), rude and just plain unpleasant to be around. Jack and Ben were riding around in their Power Wheels Jeep which I usually don't let them get out when a lot of kids are out, but who knew that the negative neighbor would stick me with her kids. I set the ground rules early. There are only two seats in the Jeep, so only two can ride at a time and you need to sit properly. When Jack came driving by with the oldest naughty boy in the passenger seat sitting sidesaddle I explained that you have to sit properly. The kid proceeded to tell me that he didn't fit sitting forward. I very calmly explained that he must be too big to play with that toy. The next thing I know he crammed himself into the seat facing forward. Okay kid, you won that round. The second lap around Jack stopped and told me that the Jeep wasn't going as fast as it usually does. I explained to the boys that it was because there was too much weight in the Jeep and told the big kid to get out. I didn't tell him that he couldn't play outside, I simply told him that he couldn't ride in my kids' $400 toy that I know his mother would NEVER replace if he broke it. Shortly after I told him to find something else to do he said he was going inside because I wouldn't let him play. Should I feel bad about that? I don't.

2 comments:

Mom said...

I vote that you should not feel bad!

Jennifer said...

I don't think you should feel bad either! I had a neighbor that would send her son over in his swim trunks if she saw us out back in the kiddie pool as soon as she pulled in the driveway after work! She NEVER had my kids over to play either......and she did this to other neighbors that lived close by!

You have every right to make sure that your kids toys are NOT getting ruined by kids who don't care how they treat OTHER kids things.....

OK enough of my rant! I ran across your blog tonight as I was checking out Omaha blogs and after reading this post, I just had to say something.....