Saturday, August 22, 2009

Meet The Teacher

I took Jack to meet the teacher last week. The kids get to check out their classroom, see where they hang their backpack, have an ice cream sundae (which was in the cafeteria so I was able to conveniently skip that this year!) and meet their new teacher. Jack was nervous to introduce himself to his new teacher; he kept stalling by wanting to explore another corner of the classroom. Finally, he got up the nerve, but when he was standing right in front of her he froze up. He had practiced saying "Hi, I'm Jack Hofeldt" but nothing came out. Luckily, his teacher has seen this before; she stuck her hand out to shake his and introduced herself. She is really nice. His teacher last year was more like me, she was nice, but a little sarcastic and very to-the-point. His new teacher is sugary sweet; she got down to his level and looked him right in the eye when she was talking to him. I am sure Jack will like her and it is good for him to experience different kinds of people. I was so proud of Jack as we were walking back to the car. My MS was making me a little trippy. When this happens it is Travis' job to offer me his arm for support. But, Travis wasn't with us so I had to ask Jack to slow down and let me put my hand on his shoulder for support. He was such a good boy; he was very caring and kept asking if he was going slow enough for me. I feel sorry for him, no 6-year-old should have to deal with a mom who can't walk, but he handled it like such a big boy! He can be so mature when he wants to be, he is a great kid! As we walked we talked about his new teacher.

Me: Mrs. Q is nice, don't you think?
Jack: Yeah, she is really nice and I get to sit by my friend.
Me: It should be a pretty fun year!
Jack: Yeah, until Mrs. Q finds out I can't read!
Me: You CAN read!
Jack: Not very well and only little books.
Me: That is what they expect of a kid going into 1st grade, you are going to work on reading a lot this year and by the end of school you will be an excellent reader!
Jack: We'll see about that.

No comments: