Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The First Day and The File

Today was Ben and Lauren's first day of school. They looked darling and had a great day. Drop off went well. The kids jumped right in and started playing; I was able to keep it together until I got to the car and read the poem the teachers handed me on the way out.

The First Day

We gave you a little wink and a smile
As you entered our room today.
For we know how hart it is to leave
And know your children must stay.

You've been with them for four years now
And have been a loving guide,
But now, alas, the time has come
To leave them at our side.

Just know that as you drive away
And tears down your cheeks may flow
We'll love them as we would our own
And help them learn and grow.

So please put your mind at ease
And cry those tears no more
For we will love them and take them in
When you leave them at our door.

By Jamie Solley


My day was really full with work and lunch with a friend so I didn't have much time at home. But the time I was at home was so quiet and lonely that I wasn't sure what to do with myself. Those kids have been my sidekicks for so long, I really missed them!










I am happy to report that there weren't additional entries into Ben and Lauren's "file" today. At meet the teacher I over heard Lauren interacting with one of the teachers.

Lauren: This is the mommy.
Teacher: Oh, where is the daddy?
Lauren: The daddy is over here, he is in jail.
Teacher: Why is the daddy in jail?

I love how the teacher tried to probe without acting too alarmed. I can only imagine the label on the file that this little exchange went in...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those pictures are absolutely adorable! Lauren is so sassy in those glasses

Kendall