Saturday, April 4, 2009

Foul!

Yesterday was Jack's second baseball game on his new team. My parents went to the first game so I didn't try to get to know the other parents. I know one parent on the team because her son is in Jack's Kindergarten class, but I was trying to 'mingle' while watching the game. I met one parent who I didn't have a lot of common with, but she was nice enough. The next thing I know Lauren decided to strike up a conversation with my new acquaintance.

Lauren: (pointing at the rotting gap in her front teeth) Look, you loosed a tooth, just like my brother!

We both pretended that we didn't understand what she said. There was a long awkward pause in our conversation while Lauren looked around wondering who put the turd in the punch bowl. When we finally started chatting again she was doing a weird thing with her upper lip trying not to show her teeth.

After the game I told Travis about the unfortunate exchange in the stands. Overhearing Jack gave me his take on it.

Jack: That mom probably thinks you are a bad mom!
Me: Why?
Jack: Because you taught your daughter to be rude!
Me: I didn't teach her to be rude! She wasn't trying to be rude, she just didn't know.
Jack: Why didn't she know that adults don't lose teeth?
Me: I don't know, she is only 3 years old.
Jack: Well, she probably thinks you are a bad mom because your daughter isn't very smart!

Wow, life was better before my kids could talk!