Thursday, April 16, 2009

Innocence Lost

Travis' dad is moving here from Austin. He closed on his house Monday. We didn't get the keys to the house when he closed; the sellers lost it. So, the seller's agent had to call a locksmith and have them get into the house. When they got in, they discovered the house had been burglarized, the other agent called the police. I was at Jack's school doing my monthly lunch duty when the police officer called. Anyone who has ever pulled lunch duty knows how loud that cafeteria can get. The kids were just getting settled so it was at deafening decibels. I only caught every other word from the police officer. It went something like this; "Mrs. ______ ____ ____ Officer ______ from the ______ Police Department, _______ father-in-law's house _______ _______ burglarized, _______ need to ______ a report now." I told the officer that I would be there as soon as I could. I arranged for the other lunch duty moms to watch my table then told Jack that I had to leave.

Me: I have to go buddy.
Jack: Where?
Me: Grandpa's house.
Jack: Which Grandpa?
Me: Grandpa Doug.
Jack: Why?
Me: There is an issue at his house.
Jack: What kind of issue?
Me: Someone broke into his house.
Jack: Who?
Me: I don't know.
Jack: A bad person?
Me: Yes.

When I went to pick Jack up from school he seemed really surprised.

Jack: I thought you went to grandpa Doug’s.
Me: I did.
Jack: How did you get back from Austin so fast?
Me: I was at his house in town.
Jack: Someone broke into his house here?
Me: Yes.
Jack: I thought we lived in a happy town!
Me: We do!
Jack: Why did someone do that?
Me: There are bad people in every town.
Jack: That makes me sad.
Me: Me too buddy.
Jack: Why does God make bad people?
Me: I don't know.
Ben: God makes rain!

1 comment:

Jaina said...

Your kids seriously ask the most intellectual questions.