Thursday, August 20, 2009

What A Day!

I am so behind on my blogging. We took a fabulous family vacation to Destin, FL that I need to post pictures and stories about and I still haven't written my tribute to Ben and Lauren. But, I had to get this story down before I block it out of my memory as I have done with so many other bad mothering days...

I started the day as mother of the year. Ben and Lauren had an eye doctor appointment at 10:30 and I had a lunch date with my grandma and mom at 12:30 so I knew I had to get some stuff done early. I cut the boys hair in the backyard, gave baths, and then headed out the door at 9am. I took Lauren to get her hair trimmed (I am too chicken to cut her hair) then went to Target to exchange a pair of shoes I bought for Lauren when she wasn't with me. I got everything done in record time and we arrived at the eye doctor 10 minutes early! Ben and Lauren failed the eye test at their 4-year appointments so I just wanted to take them in for a quick check. I assumed that the appointment would end similar to Jack's appointment a week earlier, with the doctor telling me that he was a little far sided, but not enough to correct with glasses. The eye doctor dilated their eyes and much to my surprise, Ben and Lauren both need glasses with really strong prescriptions. I called my mom to come help me pick out the glasses. My brother-in-law pointed out that she might not have been the best choice after seeing the glasses I wore as a child. But nonetheless, I wasn't confident with my abilities so I called in the most willing reinforcement. My mom had a 30-minute drive to get to the eye doctor so I started the process without her. Ben's were fairly easy as they didn't have many to choose from for little, little boys.

I was trying to pay close attention to the saleswoman so I was sure to order the right thing. I was feeling pretty lucky that there was nobody else at the store and that my kids were quietly playing at the desk next to me. I know, I should have told them to stay right by me, but it was much easier for me to get my ordering done without them under foot. The next thing I knew Ben was crying and the receptionist was springing out of her chair leaving her post at the desk. I turned a bit annoyed as everyone was asking me if he was okay. I picked him up without looking at him and said, "yes, he's fine, he does this kind of thing all the time". Then, I looked at Jack who was white as a ghost and starting to cry.

Me: What's wrong buddy? I am not mad, just settle down so I can get this done.
Jack: Mom, he is really hurt!
Me: He is going to be fine.
Jack: Look at him, mom! He is getting blood all over your dress!

This is when I finally woke up and pulled him off my shoulder to take a look. I quickly glanced at the gash and had to look away just as fast. I don't think of myself as one of those squeamish mothers, but it was so deep and nasty that it turned my stomach. Luckily, the receptionist is a friend of mine from MOPS years ago.

Me: Brittany (the receptionist), I can't look, is it as bad as I think it is?
Brittany: It's bad, the nurse is getting ice and a towel and the saleswoman is getting the eye doctor to take a look.
Me: Do I need to take him to the hospital?
Brittany: Probably.

The doctor left another patient and came out in a flash. He took one look and said that he needed stitches and I should take him to the ER. I pieced the eye-witnesses' (the kids, Brittany and the other receptionist) accounts together and to the best of my knowledge, this is what happened; Jack kicked/nudged (the force depends on which story you believe) Lauren in the bottom who lost her balance easily because her eyes were dilated. Lauren fell into Ben who was sitting on the spinning doctor chair. The chair spun throwing Ben, who was also easily caught off balance due to the dilation, into the pointy corner of the desk. My friend Cinda's husband is a doctor in the ER that was less than a mile away. I called her at home, no answer. I called her cell phone, no answer. I called her husband's cell phone, Cinda picked up knowing that it must be an emergency if I went though all of the numbers that quick. Her husband, Kevin, was not at work (bummer) but he called ahead to the ER to let them know we were coming. I asked him if I should take him to a plastic surgeon, but he assured me that he would take his own kids to the guy that would stitch up Ben. I tried to call my mom (who was on her way to the eye doctor) to let her know that we were headed to the ER, but her phone went directly to voicemail. Crap, where was my mother when I needed her? When we arrived the Triage nurse greeted us knowing exactly who we were and took us back to a room right away. Meanwhile, my mom arrived at the eye doctor. Brittany quickly told her what had happened and gave her directions to the hospital. My mom arrived in time to be with us while the doctor did his initial exam. Her cell phone had died and she didn't have her car charger with her. At first I thought that they would get Ben stitched up and we would still be able to make lunch with my grandma. But, when the nurse came in and put a topical anesthetic on his cut and told us that it would have to sit for 30 minutes before they could start working I had my mom call grandma to reschedule. Shortly there after the stitcher came in, looked at the wound and said that he wanted to take his time in order to minimize scaring. We agreed and watched him walk out of the room. Who knew he wouldn't be back for over 2 hours? Apparently, there was a much larger emergency that took precedence. I guess that is to be expected when you go to the ER! Luckily, Ben took a nice long nap while we waited. Jack and Lauren weren't as lucky. They kept saying how bored they were which gave me ample opportunity to tell them that this is the kind of thing that happens when you mess around! If there is one silver lining to this entire story it is that I will be able to remind the kids of this for years to come when they aren't behaving! Three hours and 5 stitches later we left the ER. My mom was still with me, so I wasn't about to miss the opportunity to have help picking out glasses, so we went back to the eye doctor and finalized the glasses order. I will post pictures when they come in!

He didn't want me to take his picture, so I had to hold his head still with one hand and snap the picture with the other. Maybe I will be able to get a better shot when daddy gets home tonight!

No comments: